What should you do if you’ve been harmed by a doctor?

On Behalf of | Sep 21, 2016 | Medical Malpractice

If you believe that you or a loved one has been harmed by a physician, there are some steps that you can and should take. However, not all medical errors rise to the level of medical malpractice.

The most important thing is to determine whether the problem can be fixed. First, notify your doctor of the issue as soon as possible to find out whether or not it can be fixed and the harm mitigated.

If the doctor is unable or unwilling to resolve the issue, you can contact the Mississippi Board.of Medical Licensure These state boards are responsible for disciplining physicians who fail to provide the expected standard of care.

If you’re considering filing a potential malpractice suit, it’s essential to know the statute of limitations. In Mississippi, it’s generally two years.

At some point, you’ll probably need to get a medical assessment from another physician to confirm that your injuries occurred because your doctor deviated from standard medical practices. However, don’t expect another doctor to tell you that you should file a malpractice suit.

If you believe that you may have a case, consult with an experienced Mississippi medical malpractice attorney. He or she can help you determine whether you have a case that’s worth pursuing. Generally this depends on two factors:

— Was the doctor or other health care provider negligent?

— Did the harm you suffered result from that negligence?

If the answer to both of those questions is “yes,” your attorney can advise you on your legal options and work to investigate the case in more detail to develop the evidence necessary to pursue a medical malpractice case.

Source: FindLaw, “First steps in a medical malpractice case,” accessed Sep. 21, 2016

FindLaw Network

Contact The Firm

Visa | Master Card | Credit Cards Accepted