If you are part of a car accident, it won’t be long before you find yourself on the phone with your car insurance agent.
While you hope your agent will help every step of the way, there’s something to keep in mind: You can’t always trust your insurance company to do what’s best for you.
Here are some car insurance claim tips that can save you both time and money:
- Call your agent as soon as possible, as he or she needs to know what’s going on
- Review your policy to ensure that you understand the finer details of your coverage
- Keep notes of every conversation you have with your insurance agent or any other company representative
- Keep track of all the expenses you’ve incurred as a result of your accident
- Take pictures of your injuries as well as damage to your vehicle
- Be straightforward and honest with your insurance company, all without sharing too much information
- Don’t assume that you have to accept the first offer from your insurance company, especially it is isn’t in line with your losses and type of policy you carry
These are just a few of the many car insurance claim tips that can save you time and money.
If you find yourself dealing with the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, make sure you know what you should and shouldn’t be doing in regards to your insurance situation.
It’s your responsibility to protect your rights, so take the time to learn more about your policy and the steps you can take to better your situation.
Source: FindLaw, “Car Insurance Claims: Dos and Don’ts,” accessed March 27, 2018