When you leave your house to go shopping, you may not think much about your wellbeing. You assume that you'll get what you want and return home, all without running into any trouble.
While this may be the way things work out most of the time, don't overlook the fact that you could be part of a shopping accident at some point.
Here are some of the most common types of shopping accidents:
- Slip and fall. There are many causes of this type of accident, ranging from torn carpets to wet floors to missing stair rails.
- Falling objects. If an object falls from above, such as off a shelf, it could cause harm to anyone standing below.
- Shopping cart accidents. An example of this would be a shopping cart tipping over and smashing a small child.
- Overcrowding. A major concern during the holiday season, overcrowding can lead to trampling injuries
- Parking lot accidents. Parking lots can be every bit as dangerous as they appear, especially if they are not properly maintained.
As you can see, there are many types of shopping accidents to keep in the back of your mind. These shouldn't scare you away from leaving home, but they should definitely change the way you think when visiting a local store.
If you are injured in any type of shopping accident, stay where you are and wait for help to arrive. From there, make note of what happened and then learn more about your legal rights. If someone's negligence lead to your injury, you may be able to seek compensation.
Source: FindLaw, "Shopping Injuries Overview," accessed Dec. 01, 2017